[ih] Email and address books

Lyndon Nerenberg lyndon at orthanc.ca
Wed May 23 20:26:00 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-23, at 7:36 PM, John R. Levine wrote:

>> Either mail or Mail had an alias file on Unix is mid '80s. I can't be
>> certain but suspect RAND/MX MAIL did too.

Certainly (BSD) Mail and (SysV) mailx had aliases in their respective .mailrc-ish files going back to the early 1980s.  I recall running early crude mailing lists circa 1983 using the SysV mailx local alias facility.

This was back when System V had UUCP, but no MTA with routing capabilities.  That's when I got involved with smail, and some early ports of sendmail to CTIX and other System V variants.  Fun days ;-)  (Anyone remember the IDA sendmail toolkit?)

--lyndon