[ih] propagation of early email?

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Tue May 22 11:45:04 PDT 2012

Wow, 40 years.  We're leaving History and entering Archaeology...

It's getting fuzzier every day, but my recollection is that the early
"email" was accomplished over FTP, by the simple expedient of logging
in to the recipient's machine with FTP as anonymous/guest and then
PUTting a file into some accessible directory - where the user might
or might not see it soon depending on how often s/he looked.  That may
have occurred before the term "email" was even attached to it.

That evolved into the FTP "MAIL" command, where you could connect and,
instead of PUTting a file you would transfer your message as part of
the FTP command stream for delivery directly into a user's directory
(if that's what the FTP server's author decided to do).   E.g., you
would type "MAIL JFH" after connecting to MIT-DM's FTP port, type
whatever you wanted, and signal the end of the "command" to the remote
FTP by typing a line with a single period.  Thus
<CR><LF><PERIOD><CR><LF> became the defacto end-of-message indicator.

It didn't take long (days, not months) for people to throw together
some simple programs to queue email and perform the interactions with
the remote FTP server.   There were many such programs at MIT and no
doubt elsewhere.  I wrote one to act as MIT-DM's "mail daemon", which
became quite elaborate over time.  I recall that Ken Pogran was
involved in the Multics email, struggling with the fact that Multics
really really didn't like programs that crossed boundaries by writing
into someone else's directory.   Someone else (Stallman?  Knight?) did
one for MIT-AI.   Ken Harrenstien was also in there, coding away.  Ray
Tomlinson tossed @ into the fray, which did two things - it made for a
good user interface, and it provided the beginning of structure in
messages by enabling addresses to be more-or-less parseable out of
what was becoming message "headers".

I was in Licklider's group at MIT (he was my thesis adviser).  Al
Vezza was the guy in charge as manager/administrator.  I recall lots
of email discussions (arguments) that both Al and I had with the rest
of the community about the need for a more structured email protocol.
 I had been complaining about the silliness of my program having to
scan every character of every message to make sure there was no
<CR><LF><PERIOD><CR><LF> in the text, which would have prematurely
terminated the message.   It was also worrisome what might happen if
someone sent a message with the following embedded in the text:
              .....<CR><LF><PERIOD><CR><LF>DELE *.*<CR><LF>Y<CR><LF>

I was at MIT in the MIT-DM group starting as a student in 1970/1/2 and
on staff until 1978.  In 1972, Abhay Bhushan's office was a few doors
down the hall from mine.  I can't remember, but it's quite possible
that that grad student who stuck his head into Abhay's office to gripe
about mail protocols was me....

/Jack