[ih] The UCLA 360/91 on the ARPAnet/Internet

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Mon May 14 09:10:33 PDT 2012

On 5/14/2012 8:02 AM, Tony Li wrote:

> On May 14, 2012, at 12:43 AM, paul vixie wrote:
>
>> i don't see how we'd ever do that. have only one such mechanism, that
>> is. or several that interoperate in ways that don't combine into a
>> hairball similar to the one we have now. we already have dozens of
>> things that work this way for their own walled gardens, each of which
>> exists because of profitability for somebody. doing it universally,
>> interoperably, at internet scale, would by definition lack that incentive.
>

> All it takes is one motivated, knowledgeable, altruistic individual to lead the way…

I really feel presumptuous disagreeing in this company, but I must,
vehemently.

My beef is with "All".

It also takes a company with the major market share to be willing
(marketing) and able (legal, regulatory) to sell, install, train, and
maintain; and a using population willing and able to make it work.  We
are competing with SMS here.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: