[ih] The UCLA 360/91 on the ARPAnet/Internet

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Sat May 12 14:42:52 PDT 2012

yes, that was the first machine connected at UCLA - Mike W did the
hardware. Charley Kline and others had a hand in the i/o software. I
wrote a modified version of the Sigma-7 operating system to run
measurements and to generate artificial traffic into the network. Bob
Kahn and Dave Walden paid visits to UCLA where we did particular
experiments. We used this system to test the predictions of Len
Kleinrock and his students about the performance of the ARPANET based
on queueing models. Steve Crocker led the group that developed the
Sigma-7 Experiment Timesharing system. We called it SEX and the most
popular document among the geeks was the SEX Users Manual....