[ih] MAP & BBN

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat May 12 10:05:02 PDT 2012

Leo Vegoda wrote:
> On Sat, May 12, 2012 at 1:08 AM, Joly MacFie<joly at punkcast.com>  wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Weren't electric text communications popularly known as "cables" in the
>> early 20th C?
> As I understand it, governments still refer to "cables" for certain
> classes of inter-governmental communications. I doubt they still use
> telex networks, though.

You know, that raises an interesting question:  What has taken the place
of "international record carriers" for inter-governmental electronic
messages?

I mean, inside the US Government, a lot of official traffic travels as
formatted email messages, over classified networks, with various
encryption mechanisms applied.

But what about government-to-government?  At the tactical level,
interconnecting networks is a nightmare – and that's when there's formal
attention to setting up, say, an allied operations center.  But what
about when the State Department sends an electronic message to another
country?  Now that we don't have "international record carriers," what's
the current medium for "diplomatic cables?"  Encrypted fax?

Miles Fidelman