[ih] Historical fiction

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Sat May 12 07:01:31 PDT 2012

Dave Walden wrote:

> 2. My feeling is that local areas networking with PCs took off (circa
> 1980s) partly because company (not just university) branch  offices,
> departments, etc., could use that to escape the control (and perhaps
> cost) of the official company computer center.

Absolutely true.  One of my early jobs was managing a PDP-20 at Sanders
(along with the company tech. library for some reason).  What they
didn't tell me, and I was too naive to ask about at the time, was that
the 5(?) engineering divisions had all launched coupes to purchase their
own VAXen - precisely to escape the chargebacks for cycles on the PDP-20.