[ih] MAP & BBN

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri May 11 20:24:39 PDT 2012

Dave Walden wrote:
> Dave Crocker has a website that points to several documents on the
> long history of contributions by various people to the "invention" of
> email as we know it today:
> http://emailhistory.org/
> Most inventions involve prior technology; but as Dave noted to me
> recently, some come into existence relatively fully developed by one
> person or a small group of people, while others (like email) take a
> lot of small steps from here and there over a protracted period of
> time to reach a fairly fully developed state.

One thing that always surprises me is that folks don't consider TELEX or
TWX as an early form of electronic mail.  As I recall, in its later
days, there was both inter-exchange routing and store-and-forward
service.  Granted that Western Union and AUTODIN were sort of "the
enemy" in the early days of the ARPANET, but still....

Miles Fidelman