[ih] MAP & BBN

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Fri May 11 19:41:23 PDT 2012

Dave Crocker has a website that points to several
documents on the long history of contributions by
various people to the "invention" of email as we know it today:
     http://emailhistory.org/
Most inventions involve prior technology; but as
Dave noted to me recently, some come into
existence relatively fully developed by one
person or a small group of people, while others
(like email) take a lot of small steps from here
and there over a protracted period of time to
reach a fairly fully developed state.

At 08:05 PM 5/11/2012, Alex McKenzie wrote:
>Ray is generally acknowledged to have been the
>first person to build/adapt and demonstrate
>programs to transfer messages from one computer
>to another via the ARPAnet, and to use the
>symbol "@" to denote the specific computer where
>the intended recipient had an account.  But the
>transfer of messages from one computer user to
>another within a single computer was many years
>older, and this was email too, as MAP correctly
>pointed out. A recent article in the IEEE Annals
>of the History of Computing talks about several
>of the earlier single-computer message systems.
>

>From: Vint Cerf <vint at google.com>

..

--
home address: 12 Linden Rd., E. Sandwich, MA 02537
home ph=508-888-7655; cell ph = 503-757-3137