[ih] MAP & BBN

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 14:55:04 PDT 2012

Bill,

I know MAP was perpetually annoyed by BBN and always felt BBN claimed to have invented everything.  I was at BBN the entire time and I always felt most of Mike's criticism was unjustified.  BBN wrote a lot of papers, with ARPAs strong encouragement, about what we did do, and BBN did a lot.  We didn't write about what others did- that was up to them.  So if others didn't write so much, the written history got kind of BBN-centric.

One notable exception:  Ray Tomlinson was credited by a lot of non-BBN people with "inventing email" and Mike was justifiably upset every time he heard that claim.  Mike seems to have blamed BBN for making that claim.  However, I think you can look as carefully as you want at BBN publications and you will not find that claim made by BBN.

Sincerely,
Alex