[ih] Historical fiction

Craig Milo Rogers rogers at isi.edu
Fri May 11 11:26:03 PDT 2012

>>         You might ask, why wasn't SDC put on the ARPANET?  It is my
>> understanding that even after the group that became CCBS moved from SDC to
>> UCLA, it was intended to tie SDC into the ARPAnet fairly quickly.  However, a
>> dispute arose between SDC and the government; I recall being told that SDC
>> attempted to retroactively raise its overhead rates on its research contracts,
>> leading to a drastic reduction in SDC's ARPA funding and the cancellation of
>> SDC's ARPAnet connection.

> I think SDC was on the ARPANET, host number 10??

	I believe you're right.  SDC was on earlier than I remembered; they
show up on the 1970 ARPANET map.  They dropped off the map, so to speak,
around 1977.  For the purposes of the historical research that led to this
discussion thread, SDC's participation is very pertinent.  I apologize
for misspeaking.

http://som.csudh.edu/cis/lpress/history/arpamaps/

> Ari Shoshonan or something like that is a name that comes to mind.

	That would be Arie Shoshani, I believe.  He might provide additional
insights on the early LA-area ARPANET culture.

http://crd.lbl.gov/about/staff/cds/scientific-data-management-sdm/arie-shoshani/

	I think (but am not certain) that my source of information on SDC in
the mid- to late-70's was Billy Brackenridge.

					Craig Milo Rogers