[ih] "Subnet"

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Fri May 11 01:34:14 PDT 2012

to add to confusion, there was a "port expander" hack that Jim Mathis
and I cooked up that could also be seen as a form of subnetting but I
think the simplest observation is that "subnet" in the ARPANET era
referred to the collection of IMPs forming the transport backbone
while MAP's "NET' included the hosts, etc. The term "subnet" in the
Internet era had to do with parsing of the IP address bits.