[ih] infrastructure history [was: who invented the Internet]

Dave Walden dave.walden.family at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 06:11:27 PDT 2012

>While I was at my bookshelf looking at Bob's thesis, I also looked
>again at Abbate's book.   It has probably already been mentioned in
>this thread that this would be a good book for someone to look at
>who wonders about how the Internet came about.  Of course, since
>many of her sources were people on this list, that book might be
>seen by the WSJ as part of promotion of a myth of government
>involvement in the development of the Internet.

I have found an illustration from from or less the same time as the
packet-radio net, ARPANET, Satnet, etc., internetworking demo
described on about page 132 of Abbate's book that shows (as I read
the illustration) a 2-net internet experiment experiment using
internet gateways (IGs) to partition BBN's Research Computer Center
(i.e., TENEX systems) from the ARPANET with connections via the IGs
to IMP 5 at BBN and to the Satellite Network (a comm link to the IG
at the Clarksburg site) and thus to ARPANET via a second path (up to
the satellite from Clarksburg, MD, and back down to Etam, WV, with
its IG to the SDAC IMP.   As I read the history, Tomlinson did a
first implementation of TCP in TENEX (and Plummer improved its
efficiency); that explains one of the above mentioned IGs.  I don't
remember how the IGs at the Satellite IMPs were implemented.  I
should perhaps visit BBN and take a copy of the whole Quarterly
Technical Report to ARPA (in addition to the figure I copied a few
years ago) so I know more precise details about this experiment.  I
remember that various government contracts were supporting more than
one early TCP implementation efforts at BBN.