[ih] Essential components of Internet technology and operation

Jack Haverty jack at 3kitty.org
Thu Jul 26 17:11:50 PDT 2012

Not to discourage capturing history, but I think this is a really hard task.

Consider for example "packet switching", as the "operational
innovation" of breaking a message up into smaller pieces, sending the
pieces independently and/or redundantly, and putting it all together
at the destination.

The earliest instance of this technique (as opposed to specific
computer implementation) that I've encountered was ... during the
heyday of the Roman Empire.   Roman generals out in remote parts of
the frontier had to communicate with Rome reliably and securely.  So,
slaves were tasked to write a message on a scroll, possibly even
making several scrolls with the same message.  Each scroll was then
ripped into strips, each containing only an unintelligible fragment of
the message.  Each strip was given to a different courier, who would
run to the destination.  Different couriers were sent by different
means, e.g., one by land and one by sea, one by mountains, one through
the desert, and would choose their route based on local conditions
they encountered.    When enough couriers reached the destination the
message could be reassembled and read.  Spies or hostile forces along
the way might intercept some couriers, but they couldn't read the
message.  Slaves were expendable "packets".  With enough couriers, a
message would very likely get through.

Sounds like "Packet Switching" to me.  Once computers got invented
slaves were no longer the best choice, so now we employ computers to
do our packet switching.  Credit Caesar, roughly 2000 years ago.  One
of his staff probably actually defined the technique, after hearing
about it at the local pub from a traveler from a distant land.

Sadly, this was all documented in RFC MCLVII, which was never issued.

/Jack