[ih] Essential components of Internet technology and operation

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Jul 26 14:56:05 PDT 2012

Folks,

As evidenced by several efforts, including the latest, I doubt that
considering different criteria for defining the start of the Internet is
ever going to lead to rough consensus about a single definition.

In the face of an impasse about an entirety, it often is useful to break
things down into components and consider them separately.

So I suggest an exercise a deconstructive exercise.

For today's Internet:

    a.  Consider a technical, administrative or operational innovation
that is generally viewed as important for making the Internet work.

    b.  Identify when it was innovated and by whom.

    c.  Rinse, repeat, developing a list of essential components and
their origins.

For example, a couple of components that aren't near the margins of
importance:

    1.  Packet switching

        While there is some debate about fine-grain of details about
innovation, its conceptualization was roughly the mid-60s by one or very
few folk, and its demonstration in a network was, perhaps, 1969 in the
Arpanet.

    2.  Hyperlinks

        Conceptualized by Nelson and Engelbart, apparently separately.
(I don't know enough about the internals of Engelbart's project to know
exactly how it developed there and who exactly should get credit for
it.)  Terminology from Nelson.  Demonstrated operationally by Engelbart,
in a standalone system.  Demonstrated in a distributed system by
Berners-Lee.

To the extent that my statements are inaccurate or incomplete, I suspect
the debate and repair effort can be more constrained for most of the
items (as long as we keep away from the invention of email...)

With a small amount of diligence, this ought to produce an interesting
timeline, possibly with, ummm, seven layers...

Thoughts?

d/

--
  Dave Crocker