[ih] URl construct, etc

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 06:29:56 PDT 2012

On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 7:58 AM, Tony Finch <dot at dotat.at> wrote:
> As I understand it there was a convention on some distributed unix-alike
> systems for remote path names of the form //host/path where the //
> indicated a super-root as opposed to / for the local filesystem root. This
> was adopted for URL syntax with the addition of a protocol scheme prefix.

Yes, i remember //host/ being in networked-filesystem security
presentations at IEEE Oakland Security & Privacy in the early 198x's .
 Made more sense than the UUCP host:rel/path convention that SSH still
uses, but the $HOME relative path is easier for personal user dir
syncing, so yet it lives.

(Silly thing is Windows requires file: prefix on //host/path URN on
commands where no other access: would work.)

--
Bill
@n1vux bill.n1vux at gmail.com