[ih] hypertext, was FTP Design

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Jul 3 13:20:34 PDT 2012

;-)  yea a few years ago, in the course of a discussion some
professor said to me, "But weren't you really impressed the first
time you saw the web?"  To which I replied, "no, I thought, 'O, gee
it is nice to see them getting back to doing what Englebart was doing
20 years ago.'"

Similarly, back in the 80s, I saw Larry Smarr give a talk here in
Boston about what NCSA was doing and was struck (positively) how they
were working on the same supercomputing problems that we had been
with IlliacIV in the early 70s, but where we were trying to generate
graphics, they were doing animations, etc.

It was kind of neat.