[ih] hypertext, was FTP Design

Dave Crocker dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Tue Jul 3 12:18:28 PDT 2012

On 7/3/2012 11:48 AM, Tony Finch wrote:
> John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
>>
>> Ted Nelson has been trying to implement his Xanadu model of hypertext
>> since about 1969 when he did some work on a 7090 with punch cards.
>
> Another key person is Doug Engelbart. This paper from 1995 compares the
> web against his 1990 "essential elements of an open hyperdocument system":
> http://www.w3.org/Architecture/NOTE-ioh-arch

Right.

Engelbart's 1968 demo of the Augmentation Research Center's NLS
capability was pretty astonishing.  It wasn't an idea; it was a demo:

   http://sloan.stanford.edu/mousesite/1968Demo.html

For our current thread, especially note Clip 7, which demonstrates NLS'
text-based linking mechanism. Clips 8 and 10 are pretty good about
linking, too.

Then remember that this was 1968...

As you watch it, keep in mind how often we hear people today say "no one
had any idea how all this would develop."

d/
--
  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking