[ih] FTP Design

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Jul 3 08:27:24 PDT 2012

At 11:15 -0400 2012/07/03, Craig Partridge wrote:
>I'm going to agree and disagree, based on my experience as an IEEE Annals
>editor and author.   As an author I got pushed by editors to explain *why*
>someone came up with an idea or why a particular idea was adopted -- when,
>as Paul points out, the idea was so obviously right that, once found, voila!

I completely agree.  When we saw a solution like this, everyone just
knew it was right.

There isn't much to convince people.  Or if there is, it is going
through it carefully and then the light goes in your audience and
everyone has the same a-ha! you did. (essentially leading them
through your process or your realizations after you had done it. I
have often found myself doing something for one reason and then
realizing that its implications were much broader and more
fundamental than I had first realized.)  And in that early ARPANET
group, elegance was worth a lot.  ;-)

>But, having been pushed to dig deeper, every so often I found a gem -- a
>challenge or flawed original idea or meme floating around the community
>that inspired the original thinking.  And capturing that information is
>worth a lot.

This too.  Sometimes they come to you in a flash.  Sometimes, there
were ideas floating around.  Sometimes you find upon reflection that
the a-ha was prepared because another concept had become so natural
you didn't notice you applied it.

We were schooled to look at problems "from the point of view of the
organism, not the observer."  Upon reflection I have found that at
the core of many insights.

It is also interesting how you can look at the same problem many
times and not see it and then one day it hits you what it was you
were missing.

Now if we just knew how to teach this.

Take care,
John