[ih] First file transfer on ARPANET

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Fri Dec 21 13:51:24 PST 2012

Craig Partridge wrote:
>> John Day <jeanjour at comcast.net> wrote:
>> My impression in the few years after I got on the net at the
>> beginning of 1990 was that distributed computing using the net as you
>> describe was out there and slowly progressing, and that stuff started
>> dying or getting blocked in the mid to late 90s due to security
>> problems as the net got bigger and more public and everyone started
>> reflexively turning off their RPC services and similar things. How
>> does that correlate to the impressions of people who'd seen the 80s
>> on the net?
> My impression (I started in 1983) is that distributed computing was
> an idea that for a brief period worked -- the time required for long
> distance communication roughly was in sync with processor times, from
> about the late 1970s until the early 1990s.  That's when we saw distributed
> file systems flourish and experiments with distributed shared memory.
>
> Then the speed of light constrained us.  The cloud (namely clustering a
> bunch of machines very close and limiting our exchange to the start
> and end of the computation) is an interesting approach to circumventing that
> problem.

Maybe I'm confused, but I'd consider all of these to be examples of
distributed computing:
- distributed databases - both SQL and noSQL (can you say map-reduce?)
- federated geodata systems
- some of the "big science" grid systems (e.g, the Large Hadron Collider
Computing Grid)
- mashups (both client and server side)
- the Erlang/OTP run-time environment

Miles Fidelman