[ih] theory and practice of RFCs?

Alex McKenzie amckenzie3 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 13 12:38:30 PST 2012

Miles,

The RFCs were truly Requests for Comments.  When the Network Working Group first specified a "Host to Host Protocol" it was deliberately not circulated as an RFC by Steve Crocker (its author) because it was intended as a _specification_, not as a request for comments.  The first revision of the spec (I was the editor) was also not issued as an RFC for the same reason (until last year, to make it part of the record).  If you had an idea, or a comment on someone else's idea, or any document that you thought should be brought to the attention of the community, you asked Steve Crocker, or later the Network Information Center (NIC), for an RFC number, put it at the top of your paper document, and sent it to the NIC for copying and distribution to the "technical liaison" list.  After FTP was running reliably the NIC used FTP for RFC distribution, and that was the beginning of formality (standard headers, character set, and page layout).  But it was still
 possible to submit an RFC without any review except for format in the early 1980's.  I don't know when the RFC series became as tightly controlled as it is now, but I know it was after RFC 905, published in April 1984.

Regards,
Alex McKenzie