[ih] theory and practice of RFCs?

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Tue Dec 11 16:52:53 PST 2012

Hi Folks,

Something I've been wondering about lately - that I hope folks here
might have some perspective on:

Early on, RFCs were what the acronym implies - requests for comments.
Today, they're much more like standards documents, with a formal process
for review and distribution.

For those who were there at the very beginning - what was the general
model and practice for requesting, receiving, and discussing comments?
How did that change over time?  If one wanted to pose an idea for a new
protocol, and solicit feedback, how would you do it today?

Thanks!

Miles Fidelman