[ih] CSNET

Craig Partridge craig at aland.bbn.com
Fri Sep 30 17:06:51 PDT 2011

Memories of clearing mmdf channels...

(I was a CSNET techie from 1984-1988, which meant I was on-call about one
week in four -- during the various ARPANET congestion collapses this often
meant being paged and dialing into relay.cs.net to manually start clearing
mmdf queues -- usually around 2am -- and often because UUNET was overloaded
and the queue would back up to CSNET).

Fun memories...

Craig

> Dave -
>
>   I'll review it when I get a chance; I can't help with the
>   early period but was keeping CSNET pieces running as part
>   of the BBN team for 1990 through shutdown in October 1991.
>
> /John
>
> FYI - I had the honor of doing final power down of sh, relay1,
>   and relay2 (once Karen Roubicek gave the "do it" command);
>   I might have even remembered to clear all the mmdf channels
>   first... ;-)
>
> On Sep 30, 2011, at 4:11 PM, Dave CROCKER wrote:
>
> > Well, I've just finished extensive changes to Wikipedia's entry for CSNet:
> >
> >   <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CSNET>
> >
> > It would be great for folks to review it and fix any errors you see.
> >
> > d/
> >
> > ps.  I am quite sure that the entry's paragraph beginning "By 1981" has inc
> orrect details about who was connected and the number during the first year b
> ut I don't remember enough to fix it.
> >
> > For example, the first Phonenet site I brought up was University of Pennsyl
> vania.  Ira Winston got MMDF running on a DEC VMS system, which was quite an
> impressive and ugly feat.  It motivated him to recast MMDF into a form that w
> as friendly to operating systems that had expensive process invocation.  It w
> as called PMDF and played an important role.  (See the genealogy chart).
> >
> > d/
> > --
> >
> >  Dave Crocker
> >  Brandenburg InternetWorking