[ih] Quick Question

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Sep 30 08:26:54 PDT 2011

> RFC 1296 might prove of interest.
>> I'm sure it was over 200, most probably10s of thousands.
>>>                 How many people was connected to a network in 1980 ?   (BITNET, CSNET –just created-)...

1980 is an interesting year to consider.  Arguably, it defines the transition
from a relatively pure research world for networking to the beginning of the
production build-out, albeit often within the context of research.

RFC 1296 is a good place to start, in terms of direct Internet host connections,
remembering that in those days, most of those machines were time-sharing
services.  So there is a significant multiplier for many of those hosts, in
counting people with access.  In those days, LANs were still quite rare.

CSNet was just getting started.  We had a small, predecessor email relaying
service running to some Army sites that were not otherwise on the net. I don't
remember how many sites, but the number was not huge.  I'll wave my hand and say
that we were giving perhaps a few thousand people network mail access.

As I recall, Bitnet, too, was just getting started and likely did not have much
reach yet.

UUCP was in mild use for email relaying.  I suspect that in 1980 it was the
largest source of Arpanet -- remember it wasn't the formal Internet yet -- mail
from places lacking full Internet connectivity.  (Usenet as an integrated
service was also starting at around that time.)

All told, low thousands or very low tens of thousands sounds like the right range.

For the distinctions about type of access, take a look at RFC 1775 (To Be "On"
the Internet)

d/

--

   Dave Crocker