[ih] The origin of variable length packets

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 04:25:31 PST 2011

Undoubtedly, this is correct.

But it also occurred to me that this was not such a big deal and was
probably discovered by everyone who went to build one.

Sending fixed length packets would be more work (or as much work) as
sending variable length ones!  In both cases, you need a length to
indicate how much data is there.  But in the fixed length case you
have to send more bits than you need and fill out the packet with
zeros.

Wastes bandwidth and is more work. Not a lot more, but in those days
one saved everyplace you could!

The historians should remember that for engineers, Laziness is a
virtue!  ;-)  Not everything that looks like a major insight to the
historians was.  Much of it was just common sense.

Anyone who went to build it would have done the same thing.

Baran's emphasis was that data was not voice.  Voice networks send
streams of fixed length frames, e.g. T-1, because they are
continuously sampling sound.  Data is going to be very different.