[ih] Question for IAB People

Eric Gade eric.gade at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 10:46:24 PST 2011

Hi.

I'm trying to work out whether references to 'InterNICs' from as early as
1987 meant something different from the 'InterNIC' (*international* NIC)
that was initially proposed at an IAB meeting in April 1990. It may be the
case that this former idea of InterNIC was of a 'template' that other NICs
would possibly model themselves off of.

It is my understanding that from around 1987 - 1989 there was an 'InterNIC'
WG. My suspicion is that this actually refers to finding methods for
exchanging information between different NICs in some standardized fashion.
Later on, the name seems to refer to a blueprint for an actual organization.
It's hard to resolve this because of *the* InterNIC that eventually came
into existence.

--
Eric