[ih] .ARPA meaning change (Re: Dot Com etc)

Harald Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Fri Feb 18 01:35:58 PST 2011

On 01/21/10 00:27, Vint Cerf wrote:
> Louis, thanks for reminding us about the interim use of .arpa until
> registration of names in the other 7 TLDs occurred. I'd forgotten
> about that. Later, .arpa was used for reverse lookup and other
> infrastructure mechanisms.
There's a short history of '.arpa' in RFC 3172, September 2001, which
documents the change from "Arpanet" to its current meaning, dating it to
"during 2000". The -00 version of draft-iab-arpa is dated April 2001,
Geoff Huston edited it.

I distinctly remember coming up with the "Address and Routing Parameter
Area" backronym during an IESG call - must have been in my 1995-1999
tenure, or possibly my memory is faulty and it was during my 1999-2001
IAB tenure...