[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Feb 18 15:55:57 PST 2011

At 17:36 -0500 2011/02/18, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>John,
>
>Now I have to ask you what YOU've been smoking.
>
>John Day wrote:
>>As far as working goes, in 1992 cisco's largest customer by far was
>>a deployed CLNP network.
>
>Who, if anybody, was using CLNP for anything in 1992? By then the
>Internet had gone commercial, with about 20,000 or so nets and about
>a million hosts linked by IP.

See Tony's response.

>>I don't know what this means.  Yes, CYCLADES was an embarrassment
>>to the French PTT and they were eventually able to shut it down.
>>But it was a real network and some very good people working on it.
>>It is unfortunate that it was shut down because they were doing
>>good work.
>>
>>There was very little network research going on in the US.
>
>I don't believe CYCLADES ever grew beyond 20 hosts.  As to network
>research in the US, BBN was DARPA's biggest contractor (still is, I
>think), and at least when I was there most of that money was going
>into .... network research.  And then there was an awful lot of
>money going to a lot of universities, and a lot of corporate
>research going on.

This is interesting and I hadn't thought about it until it was
pointed out to me.  But it was the case.  BBN was DARPA's biggest
contractor for building and operating the net.  How many days a week
could BBN take the net to run experiments on say routing or
congestion control etc.  Very quickly, the ARPANET was an operational
network to support others research.

I remember people telling me that the CYCLADES on the other hand was
constantly being commandeered by the INRIA guys to run experiments
and couldn't really be used the way we used the ARPANET.  They were
doing a lot of research on networks, we had to catch as catch can
other stuff and what BBN could accomplish when they were doing IMPsys
loads on Monday nights.  And much of the early work on congestion
control and related performance issues did come from those
researchers, LeLann, Gelenbe, etc.

>>>I'm not sure why IEEE bothers either, but they seem to be doing
>>>something right with the 802 line of standards.
>>
>>Over a decade ago, I told them not to bother. IEEE has
>>international recognition.  There is no point to it.
>
>Huh?  IEEE has been pretty effective as a standards body in a number
>of areas - 802, laboratory interconnection, Firewire, POSIX, as well
>as some of its more traditional electrical machinery, power,
>telegraph, and radio .  As a standards body, its activities date
>back to the 1880s (AIEE which later merged with IRE to become IEEE).

I was agreeing with you that there was no point to IEEE sending their
stuff to ISO.  I never saw the point in it.