[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

Tony Li tony.li at tony.li
Fri Feb 18 15:18:09 PST 2011

On Feb 18, 2011, at 2:36 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:

> John Day wrote:
>> As far as working goes, in 1992 cisco's largest customer by far was a deployed CLNP network.
>
> Who, if anybody, was using CLNP for anything in 1992?

There was a large, national government network that was purely CLNP at that time.  This network drove the development of ISO-IGRP and IS-IS within IOS.  I'm sorry I can't name names, but this can be corroborated with Dave Katz.

In addition, there were a number of companies that were actively deploying CLNP in a pilot mode in order to understand it.  Most of this was to comply with governmental directives.  AFAIK, no one else was doing it in a truly mission critical way.

Tony