[ih] NIC, InterNIC, and Modelling Administration

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Feb 17 17:50:33 PST 2011

On 2/17/2011 4:16 PM, Eric Gade wrote:
> I partially agree with you, and I didn't mean to engage in that kind of
> tautology. Of course, what I mean is IFIP, whose work was intended to contribute
> to OSI (IFIP reports describe the WG 6.5 work as pre-standards work for OSI). I
> should point out, however, that I never referred to X.500 and that has crept
> into the conversation in some other way.

Right.  IFIP WG 6.5 was foundational for each of the X.400 and X.500 efforts.
"Pre-standards" work is exactly the term that is used to describe it's role for
these.

IFIP WG 6.5 was where the email UA/MTA model was developed.  At the time, that
functional split provided a fundamental improvement in thinking about the design
of email services; it was based on four existing, very disparate systems.

(I was in the pre-X.400 work for several years and the later pre-x.500 work for
a couple of meetings.)

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking