[ih] Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Wed Feb 9 13:28:41 PST 2011

The general understanding among computer companies in the mid-80s was
that TCP/IP was a fine proof-of-concept, but the real network was going
to be OSI. This wasn't any sort of conspiracy as much as it was a
recognition that large scale networks needed a different kind of system
for addressing and routing than the one that IPv4 provided, and that TCP
would have problems on fatter pipes.

The OSI development process was ultimately unsuccessful for a number of
reasons (too many cooks, counter-lobbying by IBM, the clambering of the
European PTTs for connection-oriented systems, the lack of any real
champions, etc.) so the networking industry was left to do the best they
could with TCP and IP.

So here we are at the end of the road for the IPv4  addressing and
routing system and nobody loves IPv6 but a handful of bald and bearded
IETFers who never tire of telling the youngsters to shut up because they
weren't there at the creation.

RB

--
Richard Bennett