[ih] Ken Olsen's impact on the Internet

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Tue Feb 8 00:39:20 PST 2011

Ken's initiative in creating affordable, departmental scale computers
was without question a major element of ARPANET and Internet growth
(so was the SUN Workstation). However, Dave Crocker is correct that
DEC actively resisted TCP/IP at the Board level. Ken railed against
TCP/IP. But at the DEC labs, the story was different. Similar
resistance would be encountered at IBM and at HP but in those cases,
too, it was their laboratories that proceeded to develop TCP/IP for
their most popular operating systems. When it finally became clear
that TCP/IP would be demanded by customers, the official resistance
ended. UNIX and its derivatives had a great deal to do with this. ARPA
funded the development of the Berkeley release of TCP/IP for UNIX and
this was an important element of the adoption of TCP/IP in the
academic community as well.

Digital also played a big role in the development of MCI Mail and the
linkage between MCI Mail and the Internet (taking place around
1988-89) broke a policy barrier that prohibited the carriage of
commercial network traffic on the US Government sponsored backbones
(especially NSFNET and ARPANET, ESNET and NSINET).

Digital and its laboratories played a prominent role in the evolution
networked computing, but experienced its own white water problems
adapting to the changing universe produced by the Internet and open
source software.

vint