[ih] Fwd: [IP] EFF calls for signatures from Internet Engineers against censorship

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Sun Dec 18 20:55:18 PST 2011

Yes, and just like the EFF letter that some people signed without
knowing what's in the SOPA bill, it's a blatant misrepresentation of the
bill. It says:

"It would be ridiculous for an ISP to block the entire whitehouse.gov
domain on court order because a single user posted a link. "

Yes, that would be ridiculous, but SOPA doesn't permit any domain to be
RPZ'ed on such a thin pretext. The domain has to be dedicated to
unlawful commerce, like The Pirate Bay or the sites that sell camcorder
grabs of newly released movies without a license.

"It is difficult for any web administrator to know which links to
copyrighted material are done with permission."

SOPA doesn't require any web administrator to know which links to
copyright material are by permission and which aren't.  It does require
the operators of UGC site to know whether the site's primary purpose is
to sell copyrighted material without a license or not, but that's not
very hard.

"This will kill the free flow of information and conversation on the
internet."

If you believe that the sale of bogus drugs and unlicensed movies is the
essence of the "free flow of information and conversation on the
Internet," sign the petition. If you believe the Internet has
substantial legitimate uses that don't kill people or otherwise violate
the law, then don't.

RB

--
Richard Bennett