[ih] Twenty Years of the Web

Craig Simon cls at rkey.com
Thu Aug 18 08:29:46 PDT 2011

There was woefully little attention given this month to an
Internet-related anniversary of great historic significance. Tim
Berners-Lee announced the availability of Web-enabling code bases on
Usenet's alt.hypertext group twenty years ago, August 6, 1991. He began
participating in IETF meetings shortly after that. The Informational RFC
1945 for HTTP/1.0 finally emerged in 1996.

In his memoir, "Weaving the Web," Berners-Lee hints at some tension
between him and other IETF members over issues ranging from nomenclature
(he wanted URLs to be Universal Resource Identifiers rather than Uniform
Resource Locators ) to time-consuming disputes about issues he regarded
as "philosophical rat holes." One of his working groups was apparently
disbanded by the IESG due to slow progress.

I wonder if any of the folks on this list would be willing to reflect on
Berners-Lee's interactions with the Internet standards coummunity. I'm
currently working on a piece about the evolution of hypermedia, and it
would help to know more about this chapter in its history.

thanks,

Craig Simon