[ih] INWG #96

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Thu Apr 14 13:50:40 PDT 2011

Interesting observation: "End-to-end protocols (often called
"Host-Host"   protocols) are installed on top of the packet switching
service to provide users with an interprocess communication facility."

No mention of INWG 39. They have well-known ports, concatenate ports
with network addresses, and have user IDs. Network address is 32 bits,
user ID plus port is another 16 bits. Sliding window, fragmentation, two
modes that look a lot like UDP and TCP. Packets were small in those days.

--
Richard Bennett