[ih] Why is TUBA assigned IP version 9

Steve Deering deering at brunzel.org
Tue Sep 21 20:08:56 PDT 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 7:41 PM, John C Klensin wrote:

> Yes.  But the "strange character" the earlier note referred to
> had an independent plan that he called "IPv8" without any number
> assignment being made by anyone.  He also had an IPv16 plan; I
> no longer recall the difference (if I ever did figure it out).
> And his name was/is Jim Fleming.

Ah yes, I had forgotten about him.  The IPv16 suggestion was inspired,
given the 4-bit width of the IP version field.

(I had guessed that John Day was referring to Paul Francis, because
(a) Pip was nominally v8, (b) Paul was at Bellcore when he developed
it, and (c) Pip could justifiably be viewed as an outlier among the
"official" candidates, given its more adventurous design.)

Steve