[ih] history of net-NON-neutrality

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Wed Sep 15 17:31:56 PDT 2010

  That note got my attention too. I think the answer is to stop using
the term "neutrality" to describe networking policy preferences. It was
coined by a law professor with a limited understanding of networking
(Tim Wu, once worked for a router company in a marketing role before law
school) and it confuses people to no end. I think the net neutrality
people want to ban vertical partnerships between network operators and
content concerns; if that's the case, they can just say so and get a
sympathetic ear. Vertical partnerships on networks are pretty toxic in
political circles.  So that's a winning cause.

But if want to ban QoS, they're going to have much less support and very
strong opposition. If they want to regulate the sale of QoS (not ban it,
but regulate it), fine and dandy, our governments regulate all kinds of
things. But banning QoS is nonsense.

QoS actually makes networks more "open" because it allows a more
heterogeneous pool of applications to run successfully. Neutral traffic
management makes networks less "open" because it narrows the pool of
successful applications.

RB

--
Richard Bennett