[ih] Origination date for the Internet

Miles Fidelman mfidelman at meetinghouse.net
Thu Oct 28 13:08:34 PDT 2010

Bob,

Bob Hinden wrote:
> I still have my "I Survived the TCP Transition 1/1/83" red button.
>
> In my view this was the time when the Internet became operational as people starting using it for their day to day work, instead of a set of researchers.  Conception and birth occurred earlier :-)

Actually, that raises another interesting question: At what point, prior
to 1/1/83, if any, was there a minimal set of networks, gateways, and
end systems that were passing IP packets on an ongoing basis - as
opposed to being cobbled together to run some experiment or other, and
then brought back down?  Can we isolate a date when IP packets started
flowing and never stopped?

Miles