[ih] birth of the Internet?

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Thu Oct 28 09:59:09 PDT 2010

> Actually, now that I think about it, the credit for the one of these
> milestones probably belongs to the PARC guys, using PUP. (I don't know if
> Vint's early TCP work at Stanford met i), or the PARC guys might have snagged
> that one too.)

There is often an interesting challenging in distinguishing between credit for
winning concepts, credit for important research demonstration, versus credit for
delivering a 'successful' solution.  Each step is essential, but different.

The original web was the last of these.  Essentially all of its ideas has been
demonstrated far earlier and one could reasonably argue that there had been
meaningful "integration" demonstrations earlier also.  What the Web did was a
winning systems integration that became a production network.

My understanding is that PARC had meaningful internetworking running in the
earlier 70s, so that they probably win on the first two milestones.  (A careful
comparison of the technical differences between their design choices and the
Internet's could be useful for teaching.)

On the other hand, I heard that a session at the first ICCC (where the Arpanet
was demonstrated in the fall of 1972) had the first discussions on
Internetworking.  So that might be where the credit for the 'idea' goes.

If this sounds like it serves to reduce the credit due specifically to the
Internet work, it very much does not.

We tend to vastly underrate the task of "systems engineering" that produces
successful services out of established technology components (ideas).  Given how
often systems designs fail, this lack of due credit always mystifies me.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking