[ih] birth of the Internet?

Vint Cerf vint at google.com
Thu Oct 28 05:44:23 PDT 2010

1. initial design: Spring-Fall 1973
2. first published paper: May 1974
3. first full spec of TCP: December 1974 (RFC 675)
4. More complete specs after splitting off of IP: RFC791, 792, 793 - 1981
5. official launch of Internet: January 1, 1983 (which also coincided
with the creation of MILNET split from former research ARPANET) and
the incorporation of the Packet Satellite and Packet Radio Net(s) into
the DARPA Internet. this was also the date of replacement of NCP with
TCP/IP
6. As I recall, there were tests well before 1983 in which the Xerox
PARC ethernet was linked to Internet by way of a packet radio at PARC
connecting via the SRI International operated Packet Radio network.
Larry Masinter's name comes to mind as having had something to do with
this but others on the list may have clearer recollections. The first
Packet Radio/ARPANET tests of TCP/IP occurred in the 1975 time frame
using a BBN developed gateway. The first three-network tests were done
on November 22, 1977 linking ARPANET, the SF Bay Area Packet Radio net
and the Packet Satellite Network.

vint