[ih] IP addresses are not phone numbers, was Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Larry Sheldon larrysheldon at cox.net
Sun Oct 17 08:18:20 PDT 2010

On 10/17/2010 8:38 AM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> John Levine wrote:
>> There's a couple of rather essential differences between routing phone
>> calls and routing IP packets. One is that phone numbers, unlike IP
>> addresses still have a great deal of geographic locality, since number
>> allocations are tied to geography, and number portability is limited
>> to within local areas. Regardless of portability, all numbers that
>> start with +33 are in France, and all numbers that start +1212 are in
>> New York City.
> Of course things change a bit as we worry about mobile IP. I sort of
> wonder when about how soon we'll get to the point where mobile devices
> outnumber fixed devices. Come to think about it, it's already the case
> for both my household and business.

Which is exactly the point I have been trying to raise--and had given up on.

We don't _know_ what will be driven by lawyers, marketers, and actual
demand.

And we certainly don't know what technology will enable.  (Once upon a
time telephone numbers were driven by switchboard multiples and then
Stroweger switches with the concept of portability simply undefined).

We have several mobile devices (calling them "telephones" is as silly as
talking about "dialing") that have one or more IP addresses.  So far we
are surviving because they all use DHCP (and that might be the answer if
coupled with a much faster DNS--I think the route will be via an
advanced ARP).

I think (and will continue to think even if I am silenced) that saying
anything (including the second law issues) is impossible guantees thqt
you will be found to be in error someday.

I will be silent on the matter now, if I have to drop off the list.