[ih] IP addresses are not phone numbers, was Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Alan J Maitland AMaitland at Commerco.Com
Sat Oct 16 23:55:26 PDT 2010

John,

Good points and I really enjoyed your use of the term "peripatetic traveler".

Does anyone on the list know if there is a plan to more
geographically allocate IP addresses in V6?  It seems like doing that
might make it easier to control routing table sizes.  In other words,
I'm going back to a section of one of John Curran's contributions to
this discussion earlier talking about CIRs, which seem to flow down
from RIRs (see
http://www.scribd.com/doc/29487289/ARIN-Contribution-to-ITU-T-IPv6-Study-Group
).

What I gleaned from that link was that using the RIR to CIR structure
looks a little like the hierarchical structure of DNS.  If portions
of the V6 address space could be allocated in a way that was
geographically aligned to the RIRs and CIRs and maybe even regional
routes within a country by major carrier, would that not take some
load off the primary routing resources?

Best,

Alan