[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Oct 15 11:23:11 PDT 2010

On 10/15/2010 12:08 PM, Jorge Amodio wrote:
> I always thought email routing as end-to-end,

but it ain't.

the 'routing' that we are used to thinking about is actually only between border
MTA's.  In a sense, the standard use of MX is like the role of BGP, which leaves
open the question of interior routing.  (That's most often also done with
internal MXs.)

> I don't see further forwarding by the receiving MX host as "routing".

but alas, it is exactly that.

Because quite a lot of email is between very large ISPs, there is a tendency to
believe that modern email is only one-hop.  This misses all sorts of legitimate
and very present scenarios, especially between enterprises.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking