[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Scott Brim sbrim at cisco.com
Fri Oct 15 08:36:59 PDT 2010

On 10/15/2010 09:16 EDT, Jorge Amodio wrote:
>> But the real point here is that routing email, is fundamentally no different
>> than routing packets, except there is no TTL with email. All of the same
>> principles hold.
>
> How ? I don't see email routing comparable to IP routing.
>
> -J

It's all store-and-forward, and the forwarding step uses whatever
external information the forwarder can glean.  A difference is the
routing mechanism.  (Typical) Internet routing gathers information in
advance because it has to forward its packets fast (and suffers when
reality doesn't match the information it has gathered), while mailers
have a nice mapping system built for them called DNS that they use on
demand.