[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Dave CROCKER dhc2 at dcrocker.net
Fri Oct 15 07:06:09 PDT 2010

On 10/15/2010 9:19 AM, Spencer Dawkins wrote:
> I do wonder what year the Internet first carried more *packets per second* than
> the current Internet carries *emails per second* - if that's clearly stated, I'm

It's an interesting question no matter how it's stated.

It suggests some sort of meta-analysis with different layers of
chunk/packet/segment/message services and making historical quantum transitions
of activity from one to the next.  Downward, given the way you asked your
question.  (Is this like moving things into hardware?)

> thinking Jack's point is that the only real difference is scaling.

Alas, some differences in degree become differences in kind.  The latency and
loss characteristics of messaging like email are typically so different from
what is usual for IP datagrams as to permit/require all sorts of different
design decisions.

d/

--

   Dave Crocker