[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Fri Oct 15 03:50:13 PDT 2010

>Embedding MAC addresses inside IPv6 addresses was one of the dumbest
>ideas in the history of networking.

Embedding an (N-1)-address in an (N)-address is one of those things
that sounds right on first blush,but upon closer inspection turns out
to be a very bad idea.

There was language to that effect in the early versions of the OSI
Reference Model, e.g. as far back as  N227.  Once we started the work
on the Naming and Addressing addendum to the Model about 1982 and
looked at it carefully, we realized our error.  At that point the
model in the approval process, politics required some slight of hand
to fix it.

But we have known it is a bad idea for over a quarter century.  It is
mildly amusing how many professors still propose it.  Tells you how
carefully they have thought about it.  ;-)  Of cousre, the IPv6 group
falls in the same category, but then you kind of expect that.

Take care,
John