[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Ofer Inbar cos at aaaaa.org
Thu Oct 14 20:35:51 PDT 2010

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 06:53:19PM -0700,
Jack Haverty <jack at 3kitty.org> wrote:
> Getting back to history...   IIRC, the Telephone Companies used the same
> argument about telephone numbers - they had a structure which was
> meaningful to the switching system, and was needed to establish the
> circuit through the various COs to end at a particular wire inside your
> house.
>
> Somewhere between then and now, Number Portability happened despite
> their objections, cell phones were attached to everyone's ear, and, at
[...]
> Seems like The Internet could make a similar evolutionary step if it was
> needed....or mandated by government or customer pressures, as happened
> to the Telephone networks.

Perhaps if people routinely gave out business cards with their IP
addresses on them, and companies spent money advertising their IP
addresses, and people scribbled friends' and business partners' IP
addresses on notes and put them in their contact files, it might
make sense to consider that ever happening.

In our world, it makes no sense.

P.S. This thread makes me realize that I can't even remember
nic.near.net's IP address anymore :)
  -- Cos