[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

Richard Bennett richard at bennett.com
Thu Oct 14 18:12:57 PDT 2010

  The trouble is, John, that any system that's widely used, as the
Internet is, requires a legal framework for resolving disputes over
terms of use, contracts, and ownership, so simply running off the
lawyers isn't really an option. The technology defines some boundaries
around the work of the lawyers, but it doesn't make them irrelevant. The
Internet's global system of addressing requires a central authority to
ensure address and route uniqueness; that's something we have to live
with. Law is therefore necessary to ensure that the behavior of the
authority and its designees is consistent with public policy.

RB

--
Richard Bennett