[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Oct 14 11:55:18 PDT 2010

On Oct 14, 2010, at 11:49 AM, Jack Haverty wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-14 at 10:30 -0400, Ernesto Rubi wrote:
>> Someone, somewhere really ought to spend a whole semester locked in a
>> room researching this.  If only I had graduate assistants...hehehe
>
> I think this will happen when somebody decides to sue somebody else
> about ownership rights.  That could trigger a whole new industry around
> Internet Law, not only in the US but all the other countries on the
> planet.  I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

It's already occurred, with the result being a District Judge reconsidered their
prior order regarding to IP addresses and instead affirming that IP addresses are
"administered in a public trust".   Relevant law article here:
http://www.chtlj.org/sites/default/files/media/articles/v024/v024.i2.Ryan.pdf

I provided this information to Ernesto, but apparently it made more sense
to continue with the specious property thread rather than anchor it in any
actual jurisprudence.

/John

John Curran
President and CEO