[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

John Day jeanjour at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 06:49:56 PDT 2010

I see nothing wrong with this language.  Qwest is
the one assigning addresses so that it can use
them to route.  If anyone "owns" the addresses,
it is the entity assigning them to facilitate
routing in its domain.

To take our street analogy earlier, the "owner"
of street addresses is the City.  It administers
the registry and when a new building is created
it decides what number it should get to be
consistent with previous assignments.  It "owns"
the address space.

It is administering it so that people and those
providing services can find the building with the
address.  In rural Illinois a few years ago,
there was a major effort to assign addresses to
homes in the "country" i.e. not in any town, for
911 purposes so that police and fire depts could
be directed to an emergency.  Previous to this
there had been no formal addressing.  (The locals
just knew where everyone lived. "O, that is the
old Garrett place" that sort of thing went on.
;-) But with county wide dispatching it needed to
be regularized.)  The county owned the address
space.

If Qwest at some point wanted to re-shuffle its
use of addresses that make routing "better" that
would be its prerogative.  Of course it would
want to weigh disruption to customers, but it is
still its business to do that.

In the Internet case, since we have to do
provider based addressing, Qwest corresponds to
the City or County.

I see nothing inconsistent with the language of
the contract and it seem completely in keeping
with what we would intend.

Take care,
John