[ih] Some Questions over IPv4 Ownership

John Klensin jklensin at gmail.com
Wed Oct 13 11:50:21 PDT 2010

On rereading, I realized that one aspect of my long note yesterday
might easily be misinterpreted.  To clarify, when I said that there
was generally not very much technical oversight from [D]ARPA staff at
any sort of detailed level, I did not intend to imply any lack of
diligence or attention.  Instead, my impression is that the people
involved were doing exactly what they should have been doing -- paying
careful attention to design, protocol, and strategic issues (even in
considerable detail), but, except for periodic high-level reviews,
trusting that the people doing administrative and registry work were
doing those jobs.   In particular, what I was referring to when I
mentioned "detailed level" in the context of address allocations was
that I don't believe there was any required sign off process at
[D]ARPA before a given allocation became final (nor, unlike top-level
domain names), is there any such sign off process by US DoC about
individual allocations from IANA to the RIRs today.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused by not being more precise.

   john